Canvas/Google Drive Issues
GOOGLE DRIVE TROUBLESHOOTING
Step 1 - Allow Third Party Cookies
* The first step is to verify that the student is allowing Third Party Cookies in Chrome.
* To access these cookie settings you will need to open Chrome’s settings.
* You can open Chrome settings by clicking on the three dots in the top right corner of Google Chrome, then selecting Settings from the menu that appears.
* Once you have opened Settings, scroll down to the very bottom of the page.
* Here you will see an option for Advanced. Click Advanced to open more settings.
* Click on Site Settings found under the section titled Privacy and Security.
* Then click on Cookies and site data.
* Now verify that the option to Block third party cookies is disabled.
* Here is a screen shot of the ideal cookie settings: https://www.screencast.com/t/qMsCfAqSwm
Step 2 - Remove Google Drive as a Registered Service in Canvas
* The next step is to remove Google Drive as a registered service for the student in Canvas.
* To do this open the user’s account settings in Canvas.
* Find the section titled Registered Services on the settings page.
* Look for service named Google Drive.
* If you hover over this service with your cursor a red circle with and “x” will appear. Click this circle to remove the Google Drive service.
* Here is a screen shot that shows where to find this red circle: https://www.screencast.com/t/8nIsVmsxM
Step 3 - Remove Google Drive LTI IAD-Prod as an Approved Integration in Canvas
* The next step is to remove Google Drive LTI IAD-Prod as an approved integration for the student in Canvas.
* To do this open the student’s account settings in Canvas.
* Find the section titled Approved Integrations on the settings page.
* Find the integration called Google Drive LTI IAD-Prod.
* To the right of the integration name you will see a trash icon. Click this to remove the integration.
* Here is screen shot that show where to find the trash icon: https://www.screencast.com/t/7HDXa6aW
Step 4 - Remove Google Drive LTI by Canvas as an App in Google Drive
* The next step is to remove Google Drive LTI by Canvas as an app for the student in Google Drive.
* To do this open the student’s Google Drive.
* Click on the gear icon in the top right corner of the screen.
* Choose Settings from the drop down menu that appears.
* Once Settings is open, select Manage Apps on the left side of the settings box.
* Find the app named Google Drive LTI by Canvas, and click Options.
* Then click Disconnect from Drive.
* Now click Done.
* Here is a screen shot that will show you were to find Disconnect from Drive: https://www.screencast.com/t/ppVdqrWK6cA
Step 5 - Log Out
* One of the final steps is to have the student log out of everything!
* Have the student log out of Canvas, Google Drive, and Google Chrome. (If they are using a Chrome Book the student may not be able to logout of Google Chrome. Instead have them logout of their computer).
* Once they log out of Google Chrome, close out Google Chrome completely.
Step 6 - Clear Cache and Cookies
* Now the student will need to clear their cache and cookies in Google Chrome.
* Have the student open Google Chrome. (If the student had to log out of their computer have them log back in and open Google Chrome).
* To clear the cache and cookies I would recommend following this guide from Google: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/32050?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en
* Be sure to set the time range to All Time before clearing the cache and cookies.
Step 7 - Authorize the Google Drive LTI
* The final step is to authorize the Google Drive LTI in Canvas.
* Have the student navigate to an assignment that requires them to access Google Drive.
* The student will know that they need to authorize Google Drive on the assignment because they will see a screen that looks like the one in this screenshot: https://www.screencast.com/t/gsGotjzIFtor
* Click the Authorize button in the bottom left corner of the screen.
* Choose the Google account that uses the same email address as the student’s default email in Canvas.